The author, whose book was turned into a hit Netflix TV show, released a statement via his spokesperson, Tamara Taylor, saying the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators' original statement was “completely false.“
Lin Oliver, the group's executive director, told the Associated Press that Asher and writer David Diaz were both banned last year after being "found to have violated the SCBWI code of conduct in regard to harassment."
"Claims against them were investigated and, as a result, they are no longer members and neither will be appearing at any SCBWI events in the future," she continued.
However, Asher says that his leaving the group was voluntary.
“This was in response to many years of harassment from a group of authors with whom he had consensual relationships that ended with some hurt feelings when they learned about each other.”
There “was no allegation, investigation, or finding of sexual harassment,” the statement continues, according to Vanity Fair.
Netflix has responded to the claims by confirming Asher was already not involved with 13 Reasons Why season two.
“Jay Asher was not involved in the second season of ’13 Reasons Why,'” a Netflix spokesperson told TheWrap on Tuesday. “The upcoming season will not be impacted in any way.”