65g farro, rinsed
100g mixed quinoa (red, black and white), soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, drained and rinsed
100g kale, stripped from the stem
2 tbsps olive oil
100g butternut squash, finely diced
100g fresh or frozen corn kernels
80g fresh or frozen peas
30g pumpkin seeds (or pepitas)
30g sunflower seeds
30g chia seeds
150g salted ricotta, finely chopped seeds of 1/2 pomegranate
90g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 large handful oregano leaves, roughly chopped
1 small handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 jalapeno, de-seeded and finely chopped
edible flowers to garnish
80ml sweet sherry
60ml sherry vinegar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
ground black pepper, to taste
150ml extra-virgin olive oil
80ml sesame oil
1 large handful oregano leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp sea salt
To make vinaigrette, combine sherry, vinegar and spices in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Continuously whisking, gradually add the oils, one at a time, to the vinegar mixture, until emulsified. Stir in oregano and sea salt.
3. Cook farro in a saucepan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rise.
4. Place quinoa in a saucepan, add 1 1/4 cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce and simmer for 10 minutes. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove quinoa from heat and set aside, with the saucepan lid on, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and leave to cool.
5. Cook broccolini and kale in a saucepan of boiling water for 1-2 minutes, or until tender. Drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water, then roughly chop.
6. Heat oil in a fry-pan over a medium heat. Add pumpkin and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until just tender. Add corn and peas and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
7. Combine pepitas, sunflower and chia seeds in a fry-pan and cook over a medium-low heat, tossing frequently until lightly toasted.
8. Combine farro, quinoa, broccolini, kale, pumpkin, corn, peas and seeds in a large bowl. Add ricotta, pomegranate, chickpeas, onion, herbs and jalapeno and stir. Pour over 150ml of the vinaigrette and toss. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and serve with edible flowers.
Note: For summer, add cherry tomatoes, grilled eggplant and zucchini.
Extracted from Taqueria by Paul Wilson (Hardie Grant Books, $40)