Australian comedian Ash Williams, who is currently appearing on I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here, will face Sydney court next month over charges he recorded intimate images of a woman without her consent while engaging in phone sex on FaceTime, per the Sunday Telegraph.
Reports allege that Williams took screenshots of a woman without her knowledge, with the unnamed woman becoming aware of this when he later sent the images to her. She reported the incident to police in November.
Following investigations, NSW Police confirmed a 38-year-old man had been charged and is due to appear in Newtown Local Court on February 1, facing up to three years behind bars.
"In November 2020, officers from Inner West Police Area Command received a report of an offence allegedly committed by a 38-year-old man," NSW Police said in a statement to NCA NewsWire.
"Following further investigations, the man was charged with intentionally record intimate image without consent on Friday, 18 December 2020."
Responding to the allegations, Williams said that he was "completely blindsided" and indicated he will defend himself.
"I’m really upset by the allegation and I’m distressed about the impact it’s had on members of my family, particularly my mum," Williams told the Sunday Telegraph. "The allegation has left me feeling shocked and confused. I don’t propose to make any further comment and look forward to resolving the matter in court."
As the latest season of I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here was prerecorded due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, it's unclear who Network 10 will edit around Williams in upcoming episodes. The Network is also yet to release a statement on the allegations.