Warning: Graphic content
The new season of US Bachelor spin-off show, Bachelor in Paradise, was cancelled over the weekend following "allegations of misconduct on set," with cast and crew alledging 21-year-old contestant Corinne Olympios was sexually assaulted by contestant DeMario Jackson.
The show, which sees previous Bachelor and Bachelorette contestants try to find love with each other on a tropical island, was quickly shut down with cast and crew sent home from Mexico.
Yesterday a Bachelor In Paradise crew member opened up about the incident, saying that Corinne appeared to be unconscious while DeMario had intercourse with her.
"There was hugging and kissing and touching, but before long, she seemed to go limp and was sliding under water. DeMario kept trying to hold her up and at the same time he appeared to be having intercourse with her," the source, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Daily Mail.
"She appeared to be unconscious," the source continued. "At that point some of the crew came out and carried her off to her room. She was limp and seemed unable to walk on her own."
Now Corinne has broken her silence, saying: "I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened the night of June 4."
"Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production," the statement to Fox News reads.
"As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality. As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening."
DeMario responded with a statement of his own: "It's unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations," he said in a statement provided to E! "I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws."
"People are pissed, and not just at DeMario," a contestant said to People of the incident.
"We're pissed that this whole thing happened. They could have seen that she was drinking too much and that he was taking advantage. They could have stopped this before it got this far."
"But they decided to let it go, and let it happen, and see what happened? So, I'm angry at the show, and everyone else is too."
The show was due to premiere in the US on August 8th, however, it's unclear at this stage whether filming will continue at all.