Beach expert Brad Farmer has just revealed his comprehensive list of Australia's best beaches in his new book, released today. And the top of the lot was Cossies Beach in the Cocos (Keeling Islands).
101 Best Beaches 2017 details the best spots, judging beaches on natural beauty, location and accessibility. Farmer has visited about 4000 of Australia's 11,761 beaches, and was absolutely blown away by Cossies Beach, having made the trip for the first time recently.
It's located on the Cocos (Keeling Islands), a four hour flight from Perth - so it's not exactly the easiest one to get to. But Farmer was won over by its natural beauty.
"It's as near to perfect as a beach can be," says Farmer of the secluded getaway. Notably, Sir Charles Darwin also landed on the beach in 1836, and described the beach as 'heavenly'.
But if you're not up for the trek, there are plenty more to choose from!
Here are the top 10:
1. Cossies Beach, Cocos (Keeling) Islands INDIAN OCEAN
2. Nudey Beach, Fitzroy Island, FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND
3. Moonee Beach, Coffs Coast NEW SOUTH WALES
4. Turquoise Bay, Coral Coast, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
5. Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast, QUEENSLAND
6. Maslin Beach, Adelaide, SOUTH AUSTRALIA
7. Dolly Beach, Christmas Island, INDIAN OCEAN
8. Shelly Beach, Nambucca Coast, NEW SOUTH WALES
9. Boat Harbour Beach, North West Coast, TASMANIA
10. Apollo Bay, Great Ocean Road, VICTORIA
101 Best Beaches is out now.