In Tasmania there are loads of amazing places to buy a cute formal dress.
But first off, what makes a dress a formal dress?
Traditionally, a formal dress is a floor-length ball gown made of a heavier material such as velvet or taffeta. However, these days formal dresses don't need to be so stuffy and a cocktail-style dress made of silk is also appropriate, especially in the sweltering Australian heat. A shorter dress can be cute and one with a dipped hem offers the best of both worlds.
Evening dresses aren't just for formals either. Black tie events, awards ceremonies, leavers' dinners, graduation balls and even some high-end weddings can require a formal style dress. Many formal gowns can also be used as a bridesmaid dress, or bridesmaid dresses as formal gowns. These days there are no rules.
If the occasion is really dressy then a wedding dress style gown can be worn. Many people choose a white formal dress so they can get that fairytale wedding dress look for their big occasion.
If you're on the hunt for formal dresses in Hobart or Tasmania then you're in the right place. Here's our pick of the best...
1. Cowl Neck Formal Dress With Waterfall Hemline in Wine, $89, Confetti Weddings Tasmania
This cute dress is fresh and modern while the dipped back hem keeps it dressy and formal.
2. Raina Long A-line Bridesmaid Dress, $193.99, Brides of Hobart
This pretty pink number is classic in style and perfect if you want a demure dress for your special occasion.
3. Chiffon Bridesmaid style with Cold Shoulder and Blouson Top in Dusty Rose, $POA, Storrs Bridal Boutique, Moonah
A flattering design, this dress will suit most body types and it also comes in blush, burgundy, champagne, mauve and navy.
4. Bariano Effie Sequin Dress, $POA, Strutt Studio
Want to make entrance? Then this sequin knock-out dress is the way to go. A classic strapless style with a mermaid shape, this is simply exquisite.
5. Ashlynn Long A-line Red Bridesmaid Dress, $178.99, Brides of Hobart
6. L'Amour High Neck Scuba Crepe in Black, $69 rental or $249 retail, Glam Corner
Buying a dress can be expensive which is why renting a gown can be appealing, especially when you can also use Afterpay. This classic black high-neck number is timeless.
7. B by Barianao Juelp One Shoulder Maxi Dress, $179.95, Myer Hobart
One-shoulder dresses are super flattering and this teal number is really beautiful. The short front and long back gives you a chance to show off your legs.
8. Green Sequin Dress with V-Neck Plunge, $POA, Little White Bridal Boutique, Launceston
A V-neck design offers real impact. Along with the side split, this dress is perfect for a dramatic entrance.
9. Badgley Mischka Strapless Pleated Tulle Gown, $702, The Outnet
Okay, The Outnet is not exactly local but the good news is that they deliver. Nothing says formal dress quite like a tulle gown. Classic and pretty, this is the kind of dress that could be handed down through generations.
10. Maroon Ball Gown, $380, Confetti Weddings Tasmania
Ready to feel like a princess? Then this gown is the dress for you. A beautiful shape with off the shoulder sleeves, this dress will suit everyone.