Latest News

Mother of Kyhesha-Lee Joughin Speaks Out After Former Partner’s Sentencing

'He took her from me out of spite'

Warning: Graphic content

The mother of Kyhesha-Lee Joughin, who died after suffering horrific abuse, has spoken out following her former partner’s sentencing yesterday.

Matthew Lee Williamson, 33, was sentenced to nine years in prison for manslaughter and will have to serve 80 per cent of his sentence until he is eligible for parole.

Speaking outside of the court after the sentencing, Kyhesha-Lee’s mother, Danielle Joughin, 29, said she was pleased by the ruling but does not feel like justice has been served, reports The Courier Mail

“To think he took her from me out of spite and this is the way he was going to treat her afterwards. It’s disgusting,” Ms Joughin said. “She was bubbly, she was energetic, she was funny, she had a little Miss Diva attitude and I miss that about her, just like her little brother Joey, full of energy, full of love.” 

“Her memory will never be forgotten, there are pictures on the wall, we’re always talking about her,” added the grieving mother.

Three-year-old Kyhesha-Lee Joughin died in March 2013 from internal injuries, reportedly from a perforated bowel after suffering physical and sexual abuse.

Williamson, denied hurting her or sexually abusing her, but pleaded guilty to manslaughter. 

“Your failure to seek medical treatment for her ensured that a treatable injury caused her slow and painful death,” Justice Roslyn Atkinson told Williamson during his sentencing hearing.

Justice Atkinson said during the hearing that she was satisfied that Williamson had in fact delivered the fatal blow to his daughter’s abdomen that led to her “slow, painful death”, reports ABC.

During the trial, reported that Williamson’s former housemate, Christopher Kent, gave detailed evidence of the abuse Kyhesha-Lee’s father put her through.

“He’d smack her and slap her,” Kent said.

“It was like two adults fighting, it was just mean and horrible, it was nasty.”

Kent also told the story of trying to revive Kyhesha, who had blue lips, and trying to get Williamson’s help.

“He didn’t give a s***,” Kent said. “He just wanted his coffee and smoke.”

Kent also told the court that Williamson would tie Kyhesha up with a rope to her bed and leave her in her room all day. She wouldn’t be able to use the toilet, so she would throw faeces at the wall.

ABC News reports that the moment Matthew Williamson found Kyhesha dead in his living room, he asked Kent to get rid of his bong first.

“I started to dial and before I pressed call, that’s when he said he was leaving so I said, ‘If you’re going anywhere, can you get rid of this [bong] with you’,” Williamson said.

“Then I gave that to him and I proceeded to call triple-0.”

Related stories