Latest News

Mother Who Crashed Into Sydney Classroom “Deeply Sorry”

Two eight-year-old boys were killed in the horror collision

The 52-year-old mother-of-four who drove her SUV into a Sydney classroom, killing two children, is “deeply sorry” for the devastating crash.

According to Maha Al-Shennag’s lawyer, Nick Hanna, the woman is “deeply sorry for the loss and hurt suffered by the children, the school, the families and the community,” the Daily Telegraph reports. 

“Her thoughts and prayers are with all those affected,” he added.

Ms Al-Shennag has been charged negligent driving causing death after her Toyota Kluger ploughed through a demountable classroom of 24 students at Banksia Road Primary School in Greenacre.

As the ABC reports, it is believed Ms Al-Shennag was a parent at the school.  

Police will reportedly allege that the mother was “distracted by something in her car” before she lost control of the vehicle. 

She was granted conditional bail and will appear at Bankstown Local Court on November, 29.

Today, students returned to the southwest Sydney school, with more than 100 children and parents gathering outside to mourn the loss of the two boys.

On Tuesday, police confirmed that two eight-year-old boys died in hospital after suffering cardiac arrest, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.  

Two eight-year-old girls and a nine-year-old girl were also taken to Westmead Children’s Hospital after the shock crash. A total of 17 other children plus a teacher were assessed at the scene.

“Obviously it was a scene of carnage,” NSW Ambulance superintendent Stephanie Radnidge told reporters. 

A Year 3 student described the horrifying crash in an interview with The Express.

“The car crashed into the room … I saw one of my friends faint … I started crying. It sounded like a big pop,” Tarek recounted.

Another student added: “I heard a bang in the classroom and we thought it was nothing. But then the teachers came and screamed at us to leave everything”. 

“We’re not looking this as an intentional act. It is a crash investigation,” acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith said at the time. 

Related stories