Jake And Elle's Limoncello Ricotta Cannoli
This recipe creates 12 x large cannoli.
- 1 1/2c plain flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp Limoncello, cold
- 300g fresh ricotta, drained
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg white
- 4L Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- 50g icing sugar (to serve)
- Garnishes such as mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, candied citrus peel, toasted flaked almonds or crushed pistachios.
- Combine the flour, caster sugar, cinnamon and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and the cold Limoncello and pulse again until the mixture begins to hold together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. (About 4 minutes).
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Set your pasta machine to the thickest setting and dust lightly with flour, or if you do not have a pasta machine, roll the dough using a rolling pin until 5mm thick. Slowly work the dough through the pasta machine, lowering a setting at a time, until you get a sheet of dough 5mm thick.
- Preheat a deep fryer, or pot of vegetable oil to 180 degrees.
- Whisk egg white and set aside.
- Use a cookie cutter, 10cm in diameter, to cut the dough into circles. Gently stretch into a 13cm oval and wrap loosely around the greased cannoli tubes. Brush one side of the dough with the egg white and join it gently together.
- Carefully lower the cannoli tube into the preheated oil and fry until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Repeat steps 3-8 with the remainder of the dough until all cannoli shells are fried. Set aside on paper towel to drain and cool.
- For the filling, place the drained ricotta and sugar into a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed until the ricotta is silky and has no lumps.
- You can fold in any garnishes you like such as chocolate chips, or candied citrus peel at this stage.
- Place the ricotta filling into a piping bag and gently pipe in each end of the cannoli shell. You can then dip each end into your choice of toppings, such as chocolate chips, candied citrus peel, pistachios or toasted almonds.
- Dust generously with icing sugar and serve.