When Ben Ungermann mysteriously disappeared from MasterChef with no explanation, fans were left confused and wanting answers. Now it's been revealed the contestant was charged several months ago with the alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl, per The Age.
Victoria Police confirmed Ungermann was charged with two counts of sexual assault on March 6, with a police spokesperson confirming the case involved a 16-year-old.
An investigation was launched into the alleged incident by Melbourne Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation and is believed to have occurred on February 23 in Docklands, while Ungermann was filming MasterChef.
“Melbourne Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team detectives have charged a man following an incident in the Docklands earlier this year,” Victoria Police said in a statement. “The arrest follows an investigation into an alleged sexual assault in Docklands on 23 February.”
Sunday night's episode of the Channel Ten cooking competition saw host Jock Zonfrillo tell the other contestants Ungermann had left due to a "personal matter".
In a statement on May 19, a MasterChef spokesperson said: “We can confirm Ben Ungermann has left the MasterChef Australia competition. As this is a police matter, we will not be making further comment.”
Ungermann will appear in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court in June.