Of course, the list is dominated by cult-status Byredo (purveyors of those irresistibly chic perfume bottles that saturate your Instagram feed), with Gypsy Water topping the list. Three other Byredo fragrances also feature in the top 10.
But it’s the third most popular perfume at the luxe beauty emporium that got our attention. Because it isn’t Byredo, or Le Labo Santal 33, or any of the other exclusive scents synonymous with Mecca, but a $6 body spray.
Does Mecca even stock $6 body sprays?!, we hear you ask. As it turns out, yes. And a whole lot of people love it.
Soap & Glory’s Sugar Crush Spray is the scent in question, a “citrusy bright” blend of lemon and elemi essential oils mixed with vanilla musk, sweet lime, ginger and a sprinkling of brown sugar.
The handbag-friendly, kitsch packaging also explains the appeal.
See the full list of Mecca’s best-selling scents below:
- Byredo Gypsy Water, $230
- Escentric Molecule 01, $118
- Soap & Glory Sugar Crush Body Spray, $6
- Byredo Bal D’Afrique, $230
- Byredo Mojave Ghost, $230
- Comme des Garcons Wonderwood, $162
- Diptyque Do Son EDT, $146
- Byredo Gypsy Water roll-on, $77
- Byredo Rose Of No Man’s Land, $230
- Philosykos EDT, $146