The Canberra Times reported that the summons related to an allegation Kyrgios had "grabbed" his former partner, Chiara Passari, which carries a maximum jail sentence of two years.
The Australian tennis star's barrister, Jason Moffett from Key Chambers, has also told the Canberra Times that his client is well aware of the allegation.
“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he said. “The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously."
“Given the matter is before the court […] He doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”
Kyrgios is set to face off against Chilean tennis star Cristian Garín on July 6. Wimbledon officials confirmed the World No. 40 remains on scheduled for the match.
“We have been made aware of legal proceedings involving Nick Kyrgios in Australia, and as they are ongoing, we are not in a position to offer a comment,” a statement said. “We are in touch with Nick’s team and he remains scheduled to play his quarter-final match tomorrow.”
Kyrgios, who was reportedly on the practice courts when reports emerged, has yet to make a comment on the allegations. However, he was overheard on court saying he felt like he was in The Last Dance, referring to the 2020 Netflix documentary about Chicago Bulls legend Michael Jordan.
Hours after news broke, he posted a photo of himself with a young girl on Instagram and the message: "This is why I play. To all my youngsters out there, believe in yourself."
His lawyer, Pierre Johannessen, took issue with reports saying Kyrgios had been "charged", saying in a statement that the "allegations are not considered as fact by the court, and Mr Kyrgios is not considered charged with an offence until the first appearance"
“Until the court formally accepts the prosecution will be proceeding with a charge, and that the charge before the court is to be applied to the person summoned to appear," Johannessen continued.
"It may be misleading to the public to describe the summons in any other manner than a formal direction to appear to face allegations, the precise nature of which is neither certain at this moment nor confirmed by either the prosecution or Mr Kyrgios. While Mr Kyrgios is committed to addressing any and all allegations once clear, taking the matter seriously does not warrant any misreading of the process Mr Kyrgios is required to follow."
Currently, Kyrgios is in a relationship with social media influencer Costeen Hatzi, who is by his side in London for the championships.