Devastated Melbourne parents, Allison and Robert Rees, who lost their daughter after she swallowed a battery three years ago, have launched legal action.
As 7 News reports, 14-month-old Isabella swallowed a button battery and later died on February 4, 2015.
Now, Allison and Robert are suing battery company Energiser Australia and Sunshine Hospital for the treatment of Isabella before xrays determined the toddler had a battery stuck in her throat.
The parents say they suffered mental harm, depression, and anxiety as a result of being present two hours leading up to and after their daughter was pronounced dead. They claim this was a result of the hospital’s negligence.
“It is three years on but it feels like yesterday. Everything is so vivid and I remember every detail, every last word, everything,” Allison told The Herald Sun.
“We had a beautiful little girl so full of joy and life. Even when she was sick you couldn’t get a smile off her face.”
In the wake of their daughter’s death, the parents have campaigned for stricter rules on button battery packaging.