The parents of a baby girl who was left brain damaged after she was mistakenly given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen in a tragic hospital mix-up which left another baby dead, have spoken out for the first time.
Amelia Khan was delivered at Lidcombe-Bankstown Hospital on June 20 to parents Benish and Danial, however shortly after her birth, the tragic mix-up left her fighting for her life.
Amelia suffered irreversible brain damage, and while she has been allowed to go home she is fed through a tube and suffers constant seizures, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.
“It’s devastating as a parent to be told that your precious daughter has suffered permanent brain damage,” Amelia’s parents said in a statement.
“We remain full of hope for Amelia’s future but we worry for her and want to do everything we can to make sure she has the best life she possibly can.”
"We just want everyone to know what happened to Amelia won't ever go away. She will always have to live with the consequences of what was done to her at the hospital. But we will always be by her side and we'll do everything we can to give her the best possible future."
The Khan’s are currently seeking compensation for medical negligence to help with the care of Amelia.
They also expressed their sympathies for the Ghanem family, whose baby John died in the mix-up.
“We can only imagine the intense pain this family is going through and our hearts go out to them,” they said.