Following an investigation into the sudden death of legendary musician Prince, who was found dead at his Minneapolis home on April 21, it has been confirmed he died of an opioid overdose.
According to the Associated Press, Legal experts say the 57-year-old died of an accidental overdose of the synthetic opioid fentanyl, and whilst the drug can be used for medicinal purposes the case will likely be investigated and criminal charges are likely.
According to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, fentanyl is 25-50 times more potent than heroin and 50-100 times more potent than morphine.
The report from the medical examiner's office, which was released on Twitter, stated: "How injury occurred: The decedent self-administered fentanyl," while for manner of death, a box was marked for "accident."
The illegal distribution of the drug resulting in death carries a minimum 20 years behind bars and in Minnesota can result in third-degree murder charges, according to the AP.
Prince, whose full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, was pronounced dead at 10:07 a.m. on April 21 after his estate manager and assistant discovered his lifeless body in an elevator at his Paisley Park home at about 9:40 a.m.