According to Facebook, December 24 is the most popular day to get engaged, followed by Christmas Day and New Year's Day. As peak proposal season approaches (one-third of people get engaged between November and December) here are the unexpected clues you’re partner is getting ready to pop the question…
1. They are being very frugal with his budget without explanation.
There's a good chance that he's saving for a ring/wedding/holiday and doesn't want you to know.
2. They disappear when you're out shopping together.
Have you noticed he's spent more time shopping "alone" yet coming home empty handed?
3. They have recently had a one-on-one dinner/lunch with your parents.
They may have asked for your hand-in-marriage before popping the question. If your mum and dad have been acting suspicious this is another clue!
4. Other people start talking to you about jewellery.
Is your best friend making thinly veiled attempts to figure out if you want a square or round diamond?
5. You're about to go on holiday together.
Prince William says he always knew he wanted to propose to Kate Middleton overseas, opening up about the significance of their proposal spot. "I regularly daydream. Africa is definitely one of the places I go to. It does completely settle me down. [Kate] understands what it means to me being in Africa, and my love of conservation," he told CNN.
6. Their phone is suddenly off-limits.
If he never locked his phone and suddenly introduces a complicated phone encryption.
7. He starts trying to throw you off the scent by saying things like, "I don't want to get married."
Proceed with caution he may be pulling a Chandler Bing like in Friends or he might just be a douchebag.
When I proposed to my wife I did something pretty cruel because I thought she was on to me," Channing Tatum recently admitted to BBC radio 1. "I basically told her I never wanted to get married to try to throw her off."
8. They start taking dance classes or learning a new skill "just because."
Joe Manganiello revealed he learnt Spanish memorising a romantic speech for wife Sofia Vergara. “I had a big speech in Spanish, and that’s what I was nervous about,” he admitted on Live! with Kelly and Michael. “The last thing you want to do is like mess up the Spanish on the proposal to the Colombian woman.”
This article originally appeared on InStyle.