For years we’ve endured The Bachelor Australia’s continuous selection of somewhat familiar, moderately famous television personalities, former contestants and retired footballers taking on the dating franchise’s leading role—much to the dismay of increasingly frustrated viewers who have been rallying for the series to step up its diversity game.
Well despite such calls, and Channel 10 execs claiming this year the title role would be held by someone we “don’t know yet”, it seems that the rumour mill is buzzing with yet another personality being handed the prestigious gig.
According to a new report from Woman’s Day, comedian and television host Tommy Little is being considered as our next Bachie.
“The producers are really excited about Tommy and say he ticks all the boxes,” a source told the publication. “He’s handsome, funny and already knows how to work a camera. He’s also part of the Network Ten family, which is a huge bonus. He’s a safe bet for them.”
The 35-year-old is believed to have recently split from girlfriend Natalie Kyriacou after fans noticed the pair had unfollowed each other on Instagram.
The latest rumour has caused some serious confusion considering just last week Channel 10’s Head of Programming, Daniel Monaghan was asked by TV Tonight if Australia knew the person they had chosen, to which he responded: “Not yet, but you will.”
Monaghan added that the suitor for the upcoming ninth season will fit Australia’s “most eligible bachelor mould”, but that the tagline was “up for interpretation.”
“Which is why it’s such a good phrase! Maybe you can be more desirable, for whatever reason,” he said.
This year’s selection of leading lad also came with its fair share of controversy, with another white, male comedian, Ash Williams, pegged to sign onto the role before being taken out of the running due to charges laid against him late last year, alleging that he recorded intimate images of a woman without her consent.
“As we know it was revealed he had been charged with intentionally recording an intimate image without consent, during a sexting incident on the 18th of December last year,” So Dramatic! host Megan Pustetto revealed. “Following these charges, Channel 10 made the decision to dump him and cancel his Bachelor contract. So we’re already up to our Plan B Bachelor.”
Facing a Sydney court this month, Williams allegedly took screenshots of a woman without her knowledge, where she only became aware of the footage after being sent the images by the 38-year-old I’m A Celebrity alum, per the Sunday Telegraph.
To be honest, if Channel 10 had chosen Little some years ago, especially considering the comedian has made his dating life part of his schtick, it wouldn’t feel like such a lacklustre decision, but following the lineup of some disappointing male leads of seasons past—who I am sure don’t need any explanation—many were hoping the network would consider once again choosing a ‘normie’ for its title role, one who’s ready to settle down, start a family and you know, genuinely find love?
Sigh. At least Little is BFF’s with Carrie Bickmore, and we trust her judgement, so it does have the potential to be one of the best seasons yet.
Only time will tell…