Cassie, whose real name is Cassandra Ventura, filed a lawsuit against Combs in the Federal District Court in Manhattan, on Thursday 16 November. In the suit, she claimed that Combs began abusing her soon after they met in 2005 when she was just 19, including plying her with drugs, beating her, and forcing her to have sex with male prostitutes, which Combs allegedly filmed. The suit also alleges that Combs forcefully entered Ventura’s home in 2018 and raped her.
“After years in silence and darkness I am finally ready to tell my story, and to speak up on behalf of myself and for the benefit of other women who face violence and abuse in their relationships,” Ventura said in a statement at the time of filing, per The New York Times.
Combs has denied the allegations. His lawyer, Ben Brafman, made a statement on his behalf.
“Mr. Combs vehemently denies these offensive and outrageous allegations,” Brafman said.
“For the past six months, Mr. Combs has been subjected to Ms. Ventura’s persistent demand of $30 million, under the threat of writing a damaging book about their relationship, which was unequivocally rejected as blatant blackmail.
“Despite withdrawing her initial threat, Ms. Ventura has now resorted to filing a lawsuit riddled with baseless and outrageous lies, aiming to tarnish Mr. Combs’s reputation and seeking a payday.”
Since reaching a settlement, Ventura has released an updated statement. “I have decided to resolve this matter amicably on terms that I have some level of control. I want to thank my family, fans and lawyers for their unwavering support,” she said.
Combs also said in a statement that the matter had been resolved. “I wish Cassie and her family all the best. Love,” he said in a statement, per NBC News.