A 14-year-old Texas teenage girl had been soaking in the bathtub for a while late on Saturday night when her father knocked on the door to check on her.
But 20 minutes passed and young Madison Coe never emerged from the bathtub, Time reports.
When her father entered the bathroom of his New Mexico home, he found Madison unresponsive in the water, with her mobile phone plugged into a power point on the wall.
Her phone had reportedly fallen into the bathtub and Madison was found with a burn mark on her hand.
“[Her father] found her. He had knocked on the door to tell her it was time to get out [of the tub] and she said, ‘OK,’” her mother, Angela O’Guinn-Downs, told PEOPLE. “He went back 20 minutes later, she didn’t respond and he went in.”
Although a medical examiner has not yet confirmed her cause of death, “initial evidence shows signs consistent with electrocution.”
Madison’s stepmother, Felisha Owens, told KRQE News 13, that the girl had been sitting in the bathtub with her phone plugged in, “playing our games”, an activity many family members had done.
“I did it, she did it,” an emotional Owens said.
Madison has been remembered by her family and friends as a keen basketball fan and tuba player.
“She was such a bright, vibrant, very intelligent, loving, caring young lady,” O’Guinn-Downs said. “She had such a huge heart. Always willing to help others.”