We Tried The Skincare Routine Based On Our Unique DNA

Glowing... our own way.

Ask any beauty lover and they’ll tell you the process of building the perfect skincare routine can seem like a never-ending and constantly changing journey.

Often built on trial and error, we don’t always get it right—and our skin doesn’t always love us for it.

After years of carefully curating my own multi-step routine, I realised there’s one thing I’ve never really considered when it comes to giving my skin exactly what it needs: my DNA.

A relatively new player in the beauty game, DNA testing is helping to take the guesswork out of skincare. After all, 60 per cent* of our skin ageing is determined by our genetics, with the other 40 per cent influenced by lifestyle and environmental factors.

The global frontiers in genetics, myDNA have partnered with Priceline to provide a personalised skincare plan based on your DNA. The ‘Know Your Skin’ myDNA Skin Profile Genetic Test helps to unlock and understand our unique genetic makeup, so we can consider what’s right for our skin, and tackle the signs of ageing with a more personalised combination of active ingredients.

So, how does it all work?

The Process

While the term “DNA test” can seem overwhelming, the testing process is simple and non-invasive, relying on a simple cheek swab that can be done in the comfort of your own home (and in my case, in my pyjamas…)

The kit can be purchased both in-store and online from Priceline, and comes with everything you need to get started. Simply remove the swab, rub up and down on each cheek for 30 seconds (about three TikToks worth of time) and place the swab back inside the tube.

myDNA priceline know your skin DNA testing kit
The kit comes with everything you need to do the test from the comfort of your own home and takes just minutes to complete. (Credit: Supplied)

Then, register your sample by scanning the QR code (you’ll need a Priceline Sister Club membership, which is free and simple to set up) and send to the testing lab in Melbourne using the kit’s enclosed reply-paid envelope. 

Over the next 14 days, myDNA’s scientific team will analyse your sample and generate a unique skin profile that will be sent directly to your Sister Club email, along with personalised product suggestions.

The Results

If the thought of trawling through DNA results seems a little intense, myDNA has made it simple, with the personalised report demystifying the “sciency” speak and making everything clear and easy to understand.

After testing for six genetic markers to reveal the hidden secrets about how my skin ages, I was told my genes are linked to the development of more than average age spots as I get older.

Something I’ve noticed myself in recent years as I’ve struggled to feel (and see) that “glow” that used to come so easily in my younger years, it was comforting to know that my genes, and not just environmental and lifestyle factors, were somewhat to blame.

myDNA know your skin DNA test review
According to the ‘Know Your Skin’ myDNA Skin Profile Genetic Test, I’m more prone to hyperpigmentation and age spots… so it’s time to up the actives in my daily routine. (Credit: Supplied)

While knowing that I’m predisposed to pigmentation and age spots doesn’t sound great, the report then details exactly what I should do to help counteract and slow down the process.

The biggest tip? Using products in my daily routine that contain active ingredients proven to improve hyperpigmentation, like Niacinamide, Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) and the slightly less irritating N-Acetyl Glucosamine (NAG).

A Guide To Glowing

The report is also backed up with a thorough and personalised skincare routine, with curated product advice on exactly what I should be using and when to improve the appearance of hyperpigmentation on my skin.

With a daily morning and night routine, as well as a one day a week “restore” recommendation and an additional day of “pampering” guidelines, it’s safe to say the routine breakdown is the most thorough I’ve ever received.

From cleansing (and at times, double cleansing), nourishing, moisturising, and protecting with SPF sunscreen, the routine is my new go-to and has given me a guide for which products and ingredients to be on the lookout for during my next (admittedly weekly) beauty buying spree.

The results so far? By prioritising the ingredients I now know my skin is craving, my skin feels more even in both texture and tone, and there’s a return of that youthful glow I’ve been desperate to get back for years.

Clean, even and glowing skin? It’s now a part of my DNA.

Brought to you by myDNA x Priceline.

* Naval J, Alonso V, Herranz MA. Genetic polymorphisms and skin aging: the identification of population genotypic groups holds potential for personalized treatments. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2014 Jul 1;7:207-14. doi: 10.2147/CCID.S55669. PMID: 25061327; PMCID: PMC4085290.

Related stories