Latest News

12-Year-Old Girl Blames Herself For Mother’s Tragic Dreamworld Death

She reportedly convinced her mum to go on the ride

Ebony Goodchild, the 12-year-old girl who miraculously survived the horror accident on the Thunder River Rapid ride that killed her mother and three others on Tuesday is heartbroken and reportedly blaming herself for her mother’s death.

A family friend says she is struggling to cope and is “just terrible” after convincing her mother to go on the ride with her. 

“This is something that will be with her for life — it will take a long time for her to be okay,” she tells

“She’s blaming herself because she wanted to go on the ride — they didn’t and she insisted. It will be a long road to healing.”

RELATED: “Too Soon.” Police Cancel Dreamworld Opening

Further details have since emerged about the moment her mother, Kate Goodchild died, with her husband, David Goodchild, dived into the water to try and save his wife.

Mr Goodchild had been waiting outside the ride with the couple’s eight-month-old daughter when the accident occurred.

He managed to reach his wife, and she died in his arms.

“My son managed to reach his partner … who died in his arms while their 12-year-old daughter looked on screaming in the background,” Mr Goodchild’s mother, Gillian Turner told media in a statement.

“My son and Kate were childhood sweethearts and she will be missed incredibly.

“Kate is irreplaceable, she is not only going to be missed by my son and grand-daughters but by a lot of people.”

Ms Turner said the families involved were “devastated and inconsolable”.

Kate Goodchild died in the tragic accident alongside her brother Luke Dorsett, his partner Roozi Araghi and 42-year-old New Zealand mother of two Cindy Low.

Dreamworld were set to re-open its doors for a memorial service today but plans have been placed on hold while police continue their investigations.

 “Dreamworld has been advised by Queensland Police Services (QPS) that we are unable to proceed with tomorrow’s memorial service as planned,” the park said in a statement , according to

“Obviously the integrity of the Coronial Investigation is of paramount importance and postponing the service will give QPS the time it needs to conduct this investigation.

“We will provide an update to the media on Monday with regard to the memorial service and re-opening of the Park.”

Related stories