Mother Alex Morgan and her family had just three days left of their holiday on the Spanish island Lanzarote. But the UK woman’s blissful holiday turned into a nightmare after a “horrendous incident” at their hotel’s swimming pool.
Alex recounted the horrifying ordeal on her Facebook page, explaining how her 6-year-old daughter Darcey almost drowned.
“Darcey was swimming under water when her hair got sucked into the filter that operates a waterfall in the swimming pool,” Alex wrote.
“Her hair was stuck and she was unable to get up to the surface. She was kept under the water for over 2 minutes. Some incredibly brave people saved our little girls life that day.”
Alex explained her daughter was unconscious and received CPR poolside.
Taken to hospital by an ambulance, the 6-year-old’s oxygen levels were low and she had fluid on her right lung. But fortunately, Darcey was able to leave the following morning.
“However, it could have been a completely different ending to our holiday,” Alex acknowledged.
“This was the worst day of our lives. We are still suffering to come to terms with it all now but also feel incredibly lucky to still have our beautiful, brave little girl.
MailOnline reports the woman had booked their trip through First Choice, who confirmed they are investigating the matter.
The mother shared the frightening story to make others aware of the dangers of swimming pools, especially for young children. She said two days before the incident, the same filter had damaged a 9-year-old boy’s swimming shorts.
Alex finished her post: “We will never get over what happened but if this post can raise some awareness, save someone’s life, then we will be happy.”