Speaking with marie claire, Virgine Gayssot, Head of Education and Colour at Australia's leading hair salon Franck Provost, broke down exactly how to get the flicked look.
Firstly, Gayssot says it's important to have the right product and tools next to you. For this look you will need:
- Curling iron
- Bristle brush
- Product. "I love Tecni.ART PLI by L'Oreal Professionnel which is a thermo-modelling shape memory spray and a great product to help you get the volume that you want," says Gayssot. "It adds body to the hair whilst still keeping it soft and natural."
- Hairspray or Dust. "Anything from L'Oreal professional to keep the shape and add another element of volume," says Gayssot.
For all those with frizzy or naturally curly hair, Gayssot adds a blowdry is always best to start with to ensure the best soft curls.
"These hairstyles work best with medium to short hair and is all about bouncy classic and defined curls," she says.
Below, a step-by-step to get the 60s hair flick:
1. To achieve this look, isolate the front with some clips and start directly from the back.
2. Wrap one-inch sections around your curling iron in the direction of your face, hold for 30 seconds, pin it, spray it and let it cool down.
3. Repeat until you've done all sections.
4. Use a soft brush or wide tooth comb to brush it all and start to place your curls
5. Finishing off the style with hairspray or/and with some Dust if you want additional volume.
Gayssot's top tip? "Soften and lengthen out tight curls by lightly tugging down on the end of the curls while still warm."